Saturday, November 17, 2012

Building a water storage tank

Today I'm looking back at the construction of a water storage tank.  It's now all done, and it's interesting to look at how it came together.  This tank is made from manufactured concrete block, using a method which I have several patents on.  I've posted several pictures below showing the construction steps.

This particular tank has an inside diameter of around 7 feet.  It holds around 3,000 gallons.  It is being used as a rainwater harvesting (rwh) tank.  I am using it as a plunging tank to cool off after you take a sauna, which I also built.  The tank has an electric light (LED's) at its bottom center.  There is a ladder which conforms to its spherical inner shape, for easy "in & out."

This tank was easy to build, and should last a very long time.  I hope to be using it to collect rainwater and as part of my wood-fired sauna experience for years to come.  If we assume concrete block cost $1 each, this tank cost me $175, which seems like a pretty good value.  Similar tanks for rainwater harvesting can have many uses: from potable water, to fire suppression systems, to watering crops, etc.  It has a hinged lid to keep insects out and to keep the water clean.  Rainwater is collected from the sauna roof, which is around 1,000 square feet.

I hurt myself (chainsaw accident!) while I was working on this, it took some time to heal.  The actual time to build this entire thing was very short though; less than a week.
The grey plastic pipe was used to run electric wire for the underwater light: thinking ahead.


Some of these mortar joints (especially near the top) are intentionally extra 
thick, this stretches the sphere and makes the water tank deeper. Easily done.


This is the electric light I installed in the bottom center of the tank.  LED's.
The light installed.  It is over 8 feet down to the bottom.

This is the finished tank, with my puppy Bartleby investigating.

Here is the actual sauna room.



 Here's a shower I put in.  The building also has a toilet, sink, bedroom and upstairs deck (outside).

This was a fun project, and I can't wait to use it!



25 comments:

  1. Mr Roberts,

    Excellent work there. Really enjoying reading back through your posts. I'm a builder by trade and am starting construction of my own home next spring. Planning a few structural vaulted ceilings. There is a lot to digest here on your blog and as I dig in you will probably hear from me with some questions for clarification. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy, Thanks for your comment. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is one of the most unique water storage tanks I have ever seen! Your ingenuity is something to admire as well. I mean, storing the water from the sauna can save you huge sums of money. It’s also amazing that you’ve done this project without spending too much. Keep it up, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really new what Masonry was until now, so thanks for this post! I heard that the Masonry in Toronto was really good. Would you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an excellent work.. really appreciated..

    ReplyDelete

  5. Awesome information. I am really surprised with this topic. Keep up the good work and post more here to read. Blenders || Autoclaves || Pressure Vessels

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great post. Heat Exchangers || Columns || Mixers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! Thank you for sharing. key Vendors services like interior designers, AC Service, Waterproofing, Home cleaning service, painting service, plumber service etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface. well rite pressure tanks reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful blog! It is really informative. Keep update more..
    Sintex Tank online

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rainwater pump and tank maintenance are carried out regularly, problems can arise. Read our latest blog to learn all about Rainwater Tank Pump maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the informative article about water storage tanks. There are a lot of water tank manufacturer to provide the various types of water tanks for your business or house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oxygen is the most essential thing to support our day-to-day lives. Cryolox is the best Liquid Oxygen Tank Manufacturers in Delhi. Oxygen, when in liquid form has to be safely stored in a special insulated container as it is highly compressed when it is in liquid form.
    https://www.cryolox.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tarpaulins are manufactured from high-quality polyethylene material. These Heavy Duty Tarpaulins come with aluminum eyelets and have meter intervals on all four sides. These covers are completely waterproof, rot-proof, shrink-proof and UV protected.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi
    thanks for this amazing Blog!
    visit the link for more details about Us:
    dirt removal west vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best PCB maintenance and repair service . 20+years of experience in PCB of washing machine, oven repair service.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great insight into this topic. A few interesting points that I hadn't considered before. It would be fascinating to learn more about X and how it relates to the overall discussion. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
    tarpaulin sheet

    ReplyDelete