Thursday, March 11, 2010

Introduction


I'm a masonry designer developing novel masonry systems for new applications. This blog will describe what my ideas are, how I'm making them, various uses, and so on. I will share ideas and hope to get feedback from as many interested people as I can.

I'm especially interested in doing more with concrete block than is currently possible. I want to expand the architectural vocabulary of concrete block construction to include much more than straight vertical walls and square corners. This is pretty much the status quo with current block design and construction.

As a child I had the good fortune of seeing some of the great cathedrals of Europe. This experience left an indelible impression on me. It's probably why I do what I do; masonry architecture can be so much more than rectangular block and vertical walls. Arch, cylinder, dome and sphere should all be part of the masonry repertoire. This is possible with block manufacturing methods and materials, through innovative design.

This is an exciting realm that combines ages-old building techniques with current scientific  engineering knowledge and high-efficiency production methods.

1 comment: