Friday, June 17, 2011

Water storage tanks


I am completing a unique small masonry project.  This is to be a sub-surface water storage tank, made from triangular manufactured concrete block.  I will be using it as a “plunging tank” to cool off after taking a sauna.

This simple prototype uses an early version of the triangular block system described on this blog (here, here and here).  The blocks used for this tank do not utilize the interlocking key and keyway system.  I was just using up some of my older block.

This tank assembled quite easily.  It is incredibly strong, and is expected to last a very long time.  It will be filled with rainwater, as a proof-of-concept for a rainwater harvesting system.  Rain will be collected from the roof of the sauna (not yet built).  Water will be refreshed and kept from stagnating by simple replenishment from fresh precipitation.

Mortar was used in this model, although this system can also be assembled as a dry-stacked sphere.  Dry-stacking is especially easy with the key and keyway system, as described here.  A dry-stacked tank would require a bladder, or parge coat and sealant.

The use of mortar allows for the shape of the tank to be modified, if so desired.  Mortar can be applied in thicker or thinner amounts to vary the shape of the tank.  In this case, I made the sphere deeper, or elongated it almost like an egg.  This was to provide a deeper tank, for easy submersion.  It is around 8 feet deep.

I cast a pipe under the tank, so that I can run electrical wires, leading to a waterproof underwater light, at the bottom center of the tank.  This will be powered by a solar panel on the small roof of the tank.  I’m hoping it will provide an illuminated fishbowl effect.

I plan to coat the inside of the tank with inexpensive pool paint, since people will be “swimming” in it. 

The top of the tank will have a “wishing well” type roof on it.  It is important to shield the tank from sunlight, since this will encourage algae to grow.  There will also be a hinged lid on the tank to keep insects out.

I am hoping to be able to use this tank without chemicals such as chlorine or bromine.  I’ve installed a pump for circulation, as a back-up in case rain is infrequent.  This will help keep the water from stagnating, and will keep it somewhat oxygenated.

I plan to build another sphere soon, much like the water storage tank.  This other tank will be used as part of a septic system.  These tanks are inexpensive, very strong, high volume (around 1,500 gallons) and easy to install.  I will post my efforts on this blog as things move forward.

To see the tank completed, please look here.

17 comments:

  1. it's nice blog and creation so good .........
    Concrete Water Tanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post..... Really i am impressed from this post....the person who creates this post it was a great human. Thanks for shared this with us.

    Water storage tanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design of the water tank looks good. Often function is the main focus for storage, as it should, but investing a little on the looks is a nice touch for the sake of architecture and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep on coming back here to check on the progress of this project :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Frances, Thanks for your interest. I had a chainsaw accident in November and am still hobbling about with my foot in a cast. I am starting to do some more work, and will post more pictures before long. The sauna itself is coming together; I mention this because the roof of the sauna will act as the rain catchment area. Keep checking, and I'll have more to share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea for the design of your water storage tank. Although concrete water storage is common, your design surely is unique. One good advantage of concrete water storage is its durability and from the looks of your work, the tank looks sturdy as well. Hope to see the finished product of your design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent and useful article! Thanks for taking the time to post this. this is very helpful to those searcher of water tank blog.

    underground water tank

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a great work has done thanks for sharing and keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great post. Heat Exchangers || Columns || Mixers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome information. I am really surprised with this topic. Keep up the good work and post more here to read. Blenders || Autoclaves || Pressure Vessels

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a nice post. Very good work. Just keep the standard and quality of your work going! Agitated Reaction Vessels || Lead Lining Vessel || Rubber Lining Vessel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Pressurized Equipment || Non Pressurized Equipment || Storage Tanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. An awesome post this. Really great. Everything in this post is simply awesome. It's truly good. WOW! Reaction Kettles || Process Piping || Site Fabrication

    ReplyDelete
  14. The information you have shared is no doubt really amazing.Thanks
    survival gear blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate this information about these concrete water storage tanks. It is good to know that the tank can be assembled quite easily. I am happy to learn that it is strong and expected to last a long time. Something to consider would be to seek professional help to ensure that the tank is set up properly for a price within your budget. http://www.everlast-tanksnsw.com.au/transportable-tanks

    ReplyDelete