Wednesday, April 1, 2015

New Blocks on the Kid

Five years ago today, my friend Jennifer L. Knox double-dog-dared me to write a poem every day for the month of April about masonry, for National Poetry Writing Month, or NaPoWriMo.  This will be my fifth year of participating in NaPoWriMo.  It's tricky to come up with poems every day for a month, and especially so when they are all about a specific topic: masonry.  I beg the reader's indulgence while I try this again.

New Blocks on the Kid
March has left like a lion
April is on the lam
But soon I will be tryin'
To make the best blocks I can

I will because I must
I must because it's there
It's there because I trust
in warming of the air.

With warmth I'll mount the mold
upon the block machine
In with new, out with old
new block never seen.

With contempt we leave you, March
and hope for a new beginning
A new block to make an arch
and April will be winning

All the cold dark winter long
patents filed, mold was made
nothing should really go wrong
as winter too soon shall fade.

As the earth will soon awaken
and I make this new design
the doubts of winter are forsaken
This new block will align

And stack upon itself with ease
into an arch with lovely lines
with facility sure to please
questions in the mason's minds.







No comments:

Post a Comment